skip to navigation skip to content skip to footer

Division 1: Licence to live in overview

7.4.5 What is a licence to live in?

  1. A member can be permitted to live in. This kind of permission is called a licence.

    Note: A licence under this Part does not come in the form of a paper document.

    See: Section 7.4.4, Definitions, for the definition of licence.

  2. A licence to occupy living-in accommodation can be granted by the Commonwealth as represented by the Department of Defence, or by the contracted service provider that manages the accommodation that is subject to the licence.

  3. A licence to live in is granted subject to conditions that must be complied with.

    Related information: Section 7.4.6, Conditions for licence to live in – easy guide

  4. A member's licence to live in has the following conditions.

    1. The licence may be terminated by changes in circumstances.

      Related information:
      Chapter 1 Part 5 section 1.5.2, Change in member's circumstances
      Division 2 section 7.4.14, Revoking a licence to live in
      Division 3 section 7.4.17, Change in member's rank group
      Division 3 section 7.4.18, CDF may decide that accommodation is unsuitable
      Division 4 section 7.4.31, Failure to make contributions

    2. The licence may be varied.

      Related information: Division 3 section 7.4.17, Change in member's rank group.

    3. The licence may be revoked, terminated or varied by changes to this Part.

  5. No compensation is payable if a licence is revoked, terminated or varied under subsection 4.

7.4.6 Conditions for licence to live in – easy guide

  1. The conditions that relate to a licence to live in are described throughout this Part and Annex 7.4.A.

    See: Annex 7.4.A, Licence to live in

  2. The following table provides a quick reference guide for this Part.

    Quick guide
    Item Subject Reference
    A. About the licence
    1. Definitions Sections 7.4.4 and 7.4.5

    Condition reports Section 7.4.13
    3. What is a licence to live in? Section 7.4.A.1

    Start of a licence to live in Section 7.4.A.6
    5. Permitted use Section 7.4.A.7
    6. When a licence to live in ends Section 7.4.A.22
    7. What happens if a member fails to comply with the licence to live in Section 7.4.A.24
    8. Disputes Section 7.4.A.25
    9. Licence to live in – Quick guide Annex 7.4.A Part 1
    10. What happens if you don't comply with the conditions of the licence Section 7.4.A.5
    11. Conduct and values Section 7.4.A.9
    B. Member's benefits
    12. Right to own room Section 7.4.19
    13. Exemptions from contribution Division 5
    14. What you get Section 7.4.A.2
    15. Conduct – security Section 7.4.A.14
    16. Access to a member's room Section 7.4.A.18
    C. Member's duties
    17. What you must do and not do Section 7.4.A.3
    18. Care of the living-in accommodation Section 7.4.A.8
    19. Absence from the accommodation Section 7.4.A.21
    20. Vacating the accommodation Section 7.4.A.23
    21. Conduct of visitors to your accommodation Section 7.4.A.17
    D. Eligibility
    22. Swapping rooms Section 7.4.A.19
    23. Member who can live in Section 7.4.7
    24. Member required to live in Section 7.4.8
    25. Member who may choose to live in Section 7.4.9
    26. Licence to live on a ship Section 7.4.42
    27. Accommodation on board for seagoing member Section 7.4.43
    28. Accommodation ashore for seagoing member Section 7.4.44
    29. Accommodation and contributions for seagoing member on temporary duty Section 7.4.47
    30. Member required to share room Section 7.4.19
    E. Care of the property
    31. Care of the living-in accommodation Section 7.4.A.8
    32. Conduct – animals Section 7.4.A.10
    33. Conduct – damage Section 7.4.A.11
    34. Responsibility for living-in accommodation Section 7.4.12
    35. Conduct – disturbance Section 7.4.A.12
    36. Conduct – lighting, heating and cooking Section 7.4.A.13
    37. Conduct – security Section 7.4.A.14
    38. Conduct – smoking Section 7.4.A.15
    39. Conduct – vehicles Section 7.4.A.16
    40. Moving furniture and fittings Section 7.4.A.20
    F. Paying
    41. Contribution for living-in accommodation Division 4
    42. Contributions for accommodation ashore – member without dependants Section 7.4.45
    43. Contribution for accommodation ashore – ship is uninhabitable Section 7.4.46
    44. Accommodation and contributions for seagoing member on temporary duty Section 7.4.47

Application to Reservists: Yes, on continuous full-time service.


Copies of forms are available on the webforms system or through the Defence Service Centre.

  • AE681, ADF Categorisation Change and Approval to Live-In/Live-Out

I want to know more...

Further info


Defence Housing Australia

139 342

Defence Service Centre

1800 DEFENCE (1800 333 362)